PTO BOARD MEETING MINUTES - December 6, 2021

12/10/2021 12:45 pm

DCES PTO BOARD MEETING MINUTES 12/6/21

 

Present:

Laura Weeshoff, Outgoing President

Katie Makelele, Incoming President

Kimberly Mills, Principal

Colleen Costello, Assistant Principal

Tara McConell, Treasurer 

Marissa Anderson, Secretary

Alicia Haygood, VP of Communications

Dave McCuistion, VP of Technology 

Beth Beyer, VP of Communications

Dina Engler, VP of Events

Lisa Burke, Carnival

Mary Olley, VP of Technology

Krista Kotsovos, VP of Improvements

Melanie Frisone, VP of Hospitality

Jamie McCrensky, VP of Staff

Holly Hooley, VP of Staff



Successes: 

  • Golf Tournament reached their fundraising goal! 
    • Next year remember prize for lowest score; 
    • Save sponsorship boards
    • Consider date change to spring

 

Principal Updates:

  • Up to 2 volunteers allowed in each classroom for the winter parties; teachers will coordinate with room moms. Encouraging teachers to select parents that have not had a chance to volunteer this year. 
  • Winter concerts - Band (Tues), Choir (Wed.), Strings (Thur.)
  • Spelling Bee (Friday) 
  • Sub days for teachers
  • Spirit Week Dec. 13th-7th 
  • Caroling - Wed. Dec. 15th (5th grade and choir)
  • Baskets
  • Teacher support from admin.
  • Tax Credit 
  • Campus improvement updates. City council meeting to approve widening Dec 7. Then to SUSD board
  • OE 44 Kindergarten 2022-2023 

 

President Updates:

 

 

  • Run Club

 

    • We are paying $25/hour for Ms. Tipton for the entire year 
    • Site Council is paying for Ms. Leopold and both aids
    • Looking to schedule 1k? Or 1 mile fun run in Spring.  Should consider making it a PTO event on weekend instead of a school event due to less restrictions.   Remember field day is March 4th
    • Putting together Run Club t-shirts for possible fundraising (to go towards paying Ms. Tipton)
    • Consider adding a fee next year to offset cost.   We have done this in the past for other clubs.
    • Vote $360 to pay for staff through Spring, $40 for supplies.  Approved.
  • General Meeting next month January 10th (March 7th) middle school cafeteria
    • Possibly in the middle school library, evening meeting. 
    • Rena Saltzman in charge of speaker.
    • We will discuss all of the positions, and email them out; at that point we have 2 months to fill a slate; Discuss the Outreach VP position - and putting the outreach group under it in the future
    • Voting will be in March at general meeting. 
    • Possibly eliminate VP of outreach
    • Notify parents of statewide ban on suspending a child 4th grade and under

 

  • Garden Club - we have added pre-k
  • Parada del Sol float - Need truck and trailer for float.  Connect with Mr. Rhodes on this because he is head of Stu Go.  Event is 2/12/21
  • High Heat Days - Request permission to use middle school classroom.  Still pending.

 

  • Tax Credit Flyer - should PTO make this? Needs to be sent out / posted this month
  • Thank you to Tara McConnel for the chalk board art

 

Campus Improvements/Special Projects: Krista and Brenda

 

  • City will review at the December 8 meeting 
  • Shade structure for students will be installed during winter break
  • Tree put in soon - water line has been installed
  • Water Fountain - still pending information

 

Events: Dina and Kelly

 

 

  • This week: 
  • Mom’s night happy hour on Wednesday 5-7

 

      • Peter Piper

 

  • Carnival - 1/21/22 - Lisa Burke

 

    • Submit Facilities request for tables, chairs and maintenance to keep the field clean that night through Lisa Macarele at Facilities
    • Field reserved
    • Rides and inflatables approved
    • Sports theme
    • Start advertising early
    • Set up sign up for parent and teacher volunteers
    • Check supply closet for prizes and games
    • Raffle: pre purchase tickets online or buy at carnival. 

 

  • Chinese new year celebration 28th - 1/28/22

 

    • Outside in amphitheater
    • PTO will sponsor dragon
    • Need to reach out to Michelle Lightner and Kerry Lee

 

  • Amazing Race - Krista Kotsovos
  • Soft launch at the Chinese New Year celebration 

 

    • Theme: Rockin in the USA
    • Prize launch session at lunch 
    • Teacher responses: 79% said yes to lunch with a teacher, suggestions for rewards outside of school, consider equity for all kids despite parents’ economic contribution.  

 

 

  • Spring book fair date set:

 

    • April 25-29 (Fine Arts April 29)



Treasurer - Tara

 

  • Family Fun Nights has surpassed their goal of $1000 and already has raised $1762.01
  • Golf tournament surpassed their goal of $10,000 and raised $10,305.37. With costs landing at $6649.26, the event netted $3656.27
  • ACTIONABLE ITEM: We need to have a vote to approve a new budget for legacy spending for north gate improvements because costs have risen since we got our original quote. Prior budget was $36,000 and we need $45,000, which is a difference of $9000. Vote to add $9000 to legacy spending budget.  Approved.
  • ACTIONABLE ITEM: The current budget for Run Club is $750. $300 of that is for Tara Webster to use for supplies and $152 has been spent so far. The other $450 was meant for staffing. Mrs. Mills has asked us for $810 to cover the additional staff. I’m not sure if this is for the semester or for the entire year, but we might need to alter the budget based on the difference. Once clarified, at $810, the budget will need to be increased by $400 which will cover the $810 and add $40 to Tara’s supplies budget YES
  • Budget to date below:

 

Teachers Report - Mrs. Hooley and Ms. McCrensky

  • “Chromebook” charger update: 29 charges requested, $2914.48 for 80 chargers.  School is getting new chromebooks that are different from current chromebooks.  Consider ordering chargers for all classrooms because of chromebook change.
  • Teacher input - classroom  helpers.  Less than half want regular classroom helpers.
  • Over 80% would like copy help. Try to set up copy help in work room starting in January.  
  • Teacher input - legacy spending - will be sent out this week

 

Communications / App - Beth, Alicia, Dave, Mary

  • Are teachers getting our emails?  Dave/Mary
  • Make sure teachers feel welcome to attend events and are notified early
  • Alicia - Update PTO board with Winter Recess

 

Hospitality - Melanie and Caroline

  • Pies a success!
  • Teacher gift baskets 




Read More

PTO BOARD MEETING MINUTES - November 8, 2021

11/10/2021 12:45 pm

DCES PTO BOARD MEETING 11/8/21



Celebrations

 

  • Fall social : success! things we liked/Things we'd improve on 
  • US News World Report - top 2.5 % 32/1315 az public schools



Upcoming Events:

  • Family Fun Night 11/18- Panera (4-8pm).  Get flyers to teachers earlier.  $1000 goal reached on family fun night!
  • Turkey Trot 11/23 - Candace organizing volunteers at Mrs. Sparks request, 2 from each class.  Volunteers needing approval should let school/district know it’s for Turkey Trot.
  • Golf Tournament 12/3 - MMR. Need sponsors and participants!! Lunch included also 2 drinks 
  • Family Fun Night 12/9 - Peter Piper Pizza (5-8pm)
  • Carnival 1/21
  • Chinese New Year Celebration 1/28 - Friday evening celebration on campus?

 

Presidents Updates:

  • Running Club
    • 1k in 2022 on campus - what month/date would work? 
    • Planning for next semester:  funding through t shirts, tax credit, etc.  PTO pays for one staff member, site counsel pays for the second staff member. If site counsel pays for both teachers, PTO could find a way to fund or support para volunteers.
  • DCES Ranking Graphic on DCES Facebook page?  (possibilities - separate email announcement, card with tattoo, placement on kinder roundup flyer)
  • Kindergarten Roundup
    •  Dates: 11/9, 1/11, 3/08; last 2 will be in person in the library. 
    • Tours available after school on Wednesday
  • Helping teachers with large class sizes.
    •  Can PTO fund a part time assistant teacher to help the 2-3 largest classes on campus? (say classes k-2 with more than 24, and 3-5 with more than 25) 
    • Or recruit semi-permanent volunteers for those teachers?
    • Look into it for the future for all regular program grades that are significantly larger? (i..e this year maybe 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th-  consider 2 part time aides/ one for 2nd/3rd one for 4th/5th - or long term volunteers
    • Does teacher want an aid
    • Each teacher can choose 1 parent volunteer
    • Must be Equitable
    • Volunteers in classrooms?  Right now limited to one at a time.  
  • Holiday Shop: What do we do for holidays on campus - asked by a parent. Could we do a shop for students to purchase inexpensive items for their families. (i.e. next year, $1-5 price point, during that before school recess).  Do not have time for it this year, but will look at for next year.
  • Follow up on hooks for backpacks
    • K-3 put backpacks in cove before school, 4-5 put them on the playground.
    • Wall mounts are a concern because of scorpions. Maybe something movable?
  • Book Fair was a big success!

 

Treasurer Updates:

  • Fall social was well under budget using only $900 of the allotted $1600
  • I've received a check from a management company in Utah called "KNDRS" for $715. It was made out to SUSD but notated as "Desert Canyon Fundraiser." Does anyone know what this is? And if so, can we get it reissued so that it is made out to DCES PTO?

 

Faculty Updates:

  • Info on chromebook chargers for classrooms.  Mrs. Hooley will send out email to faculty for charger requests before we order.  

 

Principal Updates:

  • Working on parking spots
  • Office conference room furniture and paint is done.
  • Thank you to hospitality for conference night
  • Thank you for book fair and chalkboards
  • Kinder numbers are excellent for next year

Campus Improvements and Special Projects Updates:

  • The IGA between the city and SUSD should be wrapping up soon and Gregg Skelton is hoping to get the project on the SUSD general board meeting on the agenda for their next meeting. Also Gregg is planning on doing the sidewalk widening first to get the project moving while we wait on the shade structures to be made and installed
  • North gate shade should arrive today and will be scheduled to 
  •  Frame on chalkboard has been completed for the 4th grade cove
  •  SUSD will be replacing the fountain in the 5th grade cove. We are waiting to receive the quote on the water bottle filler for the PE room in order to purchase. 
  •  Parking lot repainting is still in the works
  •  Mastic tree quotes- --Large one will be too big.  Medium is $2500 plus tax and Small is $800 plus tax.  Medium will be good sized and provide shade, Small will be home depot size.  Will need to include pricing of taking down the fence, water will probably provided by district, but not sure.  Vote taken and small is voted on.

Miscellaneous

  • We will discuss Scholastic dollars next month! Approximately 14,000 dollars raised
  • We have put in our spiritwear order for fall/winter and deliver is expected in about 4 weeks, we made a slight change to the red color due to availability
  • We will meet in the library next month
  • Golf Tournament - advertise the happy hour after as well. Flier
  • Moms night out planned for December as well




Read More

PTO BOARD MEETING MINUTES - October 4, 2021

10/9/2021 12:45 pm

DCES PTO BOARD MEETING 10/04/21

 

PRESENT:

Laura Weeshoff, Outgoing President *

Katie Makelele, Incoming President *

Tara McConnell, Treasurer *

Marissa Anderson, Secretary *

Kimberly Mills, Principal *

Colleen Costello, Assistant Principal *

Holly Hooley, Teachers Board Member *

Jamie McCrensky, Teacher Board Member

Krista Kotsovos, Co VP of Special Projects *

Brenda Courtad, Co VP of Special Projects *

Mary Olley, VP of Technology

Dave Mc, VP of Technology

Dina Engler, Co VP of Events

Kelly Brown, Co VP of Events *

Beth Williams, Co VP of Communications *

Alicia Haygood, Co VP of Communications *

Melanie Frisone, Co VP of Hospitality *

Casey McCartel, Co VP of Hospitality

Maria Aldrich, VP of Sponsorships




Celebrations:

New families playdate was a success

This week: National Walk/Bike to school and In’n Out are WEDNESDAY

 

Principal Updates

  • Dr. Menzel clarified that volunteers are allowed outside.  We are opening it up to all parents that would like to volunteer and have a specific reason/event for which they are volunteering.  Volunteers must have proof of vaccination and wear a mask.  Application can be found at https://az50000436.schoolwires.net/Page/397. And then contact Kailey at kaileybrown@susd.org
  • ROAR awards last week
  • Beautiful chalk art by Tara for walk to school
  • Naming Ceremony - Mrs. Suderman putting together a video with pictures
  • Enrollment is up 2018/19 in 400s then, 19/20 was 505; and this year at 521!!!
  • State assessment review at the governing board meeting tomorrow. Highly proficient/average growth in ELA in 2019 and again in 2021. Math Highly proficient/high growth, through Covid our school was the only one that stayed in highly proficient/high growth range. 

 

President

  • Running Club Update: Huge demand.  Approval completed through district.  PTO approved for paying for an additional teacher to supervise and for prizes/charms.  Will break it up by grade level.  
  • Gardening Update - need 1 more volunteer for tomorrow 11am - 1:30pm (lunch recess)
  • Volunteers: Volunteers on campus allowed.  Must register at susd.org.  Need proof of vaccination, masked while indoors,  Mrs. Mils to determine the need for volunteers.
  • National walk/bike to school day is Wednesday and reminder this week is spirit week
  • Katie looking at a Moms night out and Dads night out for November
  • General Meeting 
    • Zoom (limited at 100 people) 
    • Discuss events, speakers, volunteering.  

 

VP of Events

  • Fall  Oct 22 at Paradise Park - logistics
    • Food truck, lawn games, kids must have a parent with them
  • Fall book fair 
    • Quick set-up book fair outside.  Parents are allowed to shop as they leave their conference. Will be outside, so parent volunteers can set up, take down, and work registers.  
    • Consider replacement for Pastries with Parents
    • Family Fun Nights - a lot coming up!
  • Golf Tournament - date set for Friday, Dec 3
  • Carnival 
    • Lisa is currently assigning tasks in her committee 

 

VP Treasurer

  • Vote to increase funds for hospitality by $400 due to specific donation vote: YES
  • Up to $300 for running club for needs vote: YES
  • Up to $450 for additional running club teacher vote: YES
  • Current Chase account: $88,500
  • Current PayPal Account: $6600
  • Budget items that were previously approved via email:
  • Technology budget:  Proposal to add $170 to the technology bucket to cover a color ink cartridge in the teachers workroom.  YES
  • Accelerated Reader budget:  Proposal to adjust the budget to cover the increased expenses for Accelerated Reader, which the PTO pays for every year. The cost will be an additional $625. (Last year this cost was $3600 so we'd like to get input on approving a new budget of $4225 for this program) YES
  • Hospitality budget: Proposal to add $100 to the Hospitality budget as a "misc. staff fund.” We'd use part of this budget immediately to recognize the 2 nurses and Mrs. Maldonado for the hard work they are doing at our school. Mrs. Mills brought this up in our meeting earlier this month and we've exchanged a lot of emails this week trying to figure out what to do and where the money should come from. Our thought is to use $60-75 for a lunch and a small plant or flowers for each of the nurses and Mrs. Maldonado as a thank you from the PTO. This would leave us a small amount in the event we needed it before the end of the school year.  YES

 

VP Technology

  • Should we change the website contact email to info instead of support?
  • New Shortcut: dcespto.org/volunteer takes you to the volunteer sign ups page that also has info on the new volunteer process. Will be updated with Dr. Menzel’s new info
  • We have registered dcespto.com, so if typed in it will direct to the dcespto.org website.

 

VP Communications

  • Mass email going out with PTO info
  • PTO members please send photo and bio

 

VP Special Projects

Campus Improvements updates:

Entrance project: The district is working with the city on an IGA Intergovernmental agreement rewriting for the whole district –

  •       Is there a way to get a contact with the city of Scottsdale for a timeline for this agreement and preliminary approval
  •       Sidewalk widening – can we just move the fence to the other side of the sidewalk? That would potentially solve the issue

Painting the entrance wall –Mills to send contact info on approved painters

Parking lot:

  •       Drainage will be cleaned
  •       Fixing lines for fall break – they incorrectly added a handicapped parking spot and will be repainting lines so the parking spots will be roomier

Tree planting

  •       Greg suggested a mastic tree to replace the saguaro – Moon Valley approved vendor
  •       I have lots of info on mastic trees for teachers – it’s a magical story

 Chalkboard

  •       Carpenter at SUSD will make a border for us – will bill for time and materials

Street Signs:

  •       Maybe we name all the gates and add signs? Contest to come up with sign names?
  •       Maintenance will hang signs for auction winners
  •       Will preschool continue current dropoff procedures post covid? Seems to work well for everyone
  •       Bus Lane and Dropoff lane Signs – North Gate Parking Lot signs
  •       Revamp  the current welcome to DCES sign or make a new one? 

Maintenance throughout campus:

  •       Need to maintain butterfly garden along with garden beds, as well as 4th grade garden (Tina)
  •       Butterfly mural needs another coat of poly – Krista to lead- any volunteers to help?
  •       Wooden flowers need a refresh: Girl scouts/Boy scouts/HS volunteers?Water bottle fillers to be fixed? Ms. Sparks asked for one in PE room too. 5th grade cove isn’t working at least, mills to find vendor
  •       Printer? Not working? 

 

VP Hospitality

  • Lunches for nurses and Mrs. M. 

 

VP Teachers

  • Update on chromebook chargers for classrooms.  Need to make sure we have the correct charger, cord, and power supply and have the necessary outlet space. 
  • Thank you! for the color print cartridge!

 

VP Sponsorships

  • sponsor signage is being delivered tomorrow
  • Working on sponsorship help for the golf tournament/looking at discounted rates for members

 

Read More

PTO BOARD MEETING MINUTES - September 13, 2021

9/13/2021 12:45 pm

DCES PTO BOARD MEETING 9/13/21

 

PRESENT:

Laura Weeshoff, Outgoing President

Katie Makelele, Incoming President

Tara McConnell, Treasurer

Marissa Anderson, Secretary

Kimberly Mills, Principal

Colleen Costello, Assistant Principal

Holly Hooley, Teachers Board Member

Jamie McCrensky, Teacher Board Member

Krista Kotsovos, Co VP of Special Projects

Brenda Courtad, Co VP of Special Projects

Mary Olley, VP of Technology

Dina Engler, VP of Events

Alicia Haygood, Co VP of Communications

Melanie Frisone, Co VP of Hospitality

Casey McCartel, Co VP of Hospitality



Principal Updates

  • First Responders Event was a success.  First Responder guests appreciated the refreshments from hospitality. 
  • Dr. Menzel clarified that volunteers are allowed outside.  Volunteers must go through the application process.  If you are interested you should contact Kailey Brown at kaileybrown@susd.org.  Volunteers must have proof of vaccination and wear a mask.  Application can be found at https://az50000436.schoolwires.net/Page/397.

 

President

  • Survey Results:
    • 82 people responded
    • Email and Facebook are important for communication
    • Many want volunteer opportunities and social events.
    • Weekday mornings and 5:30 were evenly split for meeting times
    • Top 3 speakers were psychologist, IT, sustainability and self defense.
    • Shade for outdoor courts received the most votes for projects
    • Condense communication with one PTO/Principal email?
  • General Meeting next month! 
  • Zoom (limited at 100 people) 
    • Discuss events, speakers, volunteering
  • Family Dance/Fun Night Oct 22 at Paradise Park - logistics
    • Food truck, lawn games, kids must have a parent with them
  • New Family's Event scheduled for Oct 2 at Paradise Park

 

  • Technology Enrichment - thoughts on sponsoring an employee in the future?
    • Probably not enough time in the school day to pull kids for technology, most are getting typing through the one to one technology that began last year.
  • Fall book fair 
    • Quick set-up book fair outside.  Parents if allowed, or just kids with their teachers.  Will be outside, so parent volunteers can do set up, take down, and work registers.  
  • Spring book fair 
    • Probably a few days during spring conferences.
  • Boosting staff morale - ideas?
    • Gift baskets again through parent donations
    • Energy bus comments
    • Wednesday treats are appreciated by teachers

 

VP Treasurer

  • Working through spirit wear, if anyone has refund question, direct them to Tara.

 

VP Technology

  • Updating sponsors and logos.
  • Open chair positions can come down
  • Spirit wear

 

VP Communications

  • Mass email going out with PTO info
  • PTO members please send photo and bio

 

VP Special Projects

  • Parking signs ordered and will be installed
  • Mrs. Mills to include reminder about not parking in paid spots in her email

 

VP Hospitality

  • Work with Mrs. Mills for teacher beverage cart

 

VP Teachers

  • Are room parents getting email lists?
  • Teachers can forward friendship list google forms from room parent to class parents.












Items from meeting with Mrs. Mills

 

First Responders Assembly 9/10/21

  • Hospitality involved for food and water
  • News may be on campus
  • All reports point to this being a success!

 

Veteran’s Day Celebration - November 

  • Plan is for virtual celebration that will be recorded

 

Running Club

  • Committee has been updated
  • The field does not need to be reserved, just set up beforehand
  • Start with 2nd - 5th grade with a commitment of 4-6 weeks
  • Volunteers allowed per new outdoor volunteer guidelines (vaccinated, masked, approved through HR)
  • We will need a waiver/ permission slip to verify parents are aware of participation and so that kids see this as a commitment
  • Committee will work with Ms. Leopold on a waiver

 

Garden Club

  • Tina has been approved to be on campus to prep the garden to get the Club going!
  • She will set up a system to work with different grade levels during recess once she is ready

 

Mandarin Special

  • Currently K-3 receives Mandarin as a Special as capacity is limited

 

Sand in North gate parking lot

  • Mrs. Mills will work with maintenance and will discuss with Greg if not resolved

 

Chalkboard Frame

  • Mrs. Mills is waiting on an answer from Greg

 

PBIS Cub of the Quarter

  • Set for 9/29 - it will be recorded

 

Read More

PTO BOARD MEETING MINUTES - August 16, 2021

9/13/2021 12:45 pm

DCES PTO Minutes 8/16/21 at 3:45pm (virtual)

 

2021-2022 Board Attendees:

Co-Presidents: Laura Weeshoff - Katie Makalele

Principal: Mrs. Mills

Assistant Principal: Ms. Costello

Teacher Representative: Holly Hooley - Jamie McCrensky

VP Finance: Tara McConnell 

VP Communications: Beth Williams - Alicia Haygood 

VP App/Web: Mary Olley – Dave McQuiston 

VP Events: Kelly Brown - Dina Engler 

VP Special Projects - Krista Kotsovos - Brenda Courtad  

VP Hospitality: Melanie Frisone - Caroline Magargle

Secretary: Marissa Andersen (absent)

VP Fundraising: Maria Aldrich (absent)

VP Outreach: Morgan Reader   (absent)

Mandarin Liaison: Kerry Dandan Sullivan  (absent)



President

  • August 19 PTO info session 5-5:30pm
  •  General Meeting Speaker Options:  (3 meetings to plan for)
    • Psychologist/counselor - target Brooke the DCES psychologist potentially as a free and vested person, a timely and interesting topic that we can focus on covid and coping with anxieties. 
    • SUSD IT: Discuss how to keep our elementary school kids safe online and electronics.  simple but useful tips that all parents should be aware of for keeping our kids safe online. 
    • ASU School of Sustainability: Graduate students discuss ways we can make impacts and help put perspective of why it can make a difference.   The graduate students have programs specifically designed to educate and engage elementary school students.   We can have them discuss with us and help set up simple programs within the school. 
    • Is Your Garage Filled With Items That Should Have Been Thrown Away 10 Years Ago? Robin Adrihan, Founder / Co-Owner, Smooth Transitions of the Valley Garage or home cluttered? Would you like to get organized or make some money by selling some of your treasures? Sometimes humorous, sometimes poignant Robin will give you tips on how to get through the challenge of letting go and what to do with the items that are going 
    • Self Defense At Any Age,Derrek Hofrichter, Chief Instructor, EVKM Self Defense & Fitness: Self Defense expert Derrek Hofrichter will share safety tips and strategies while demonstrating what to do in the most common violent situations. He has been teaching the Israeli self defense system of Krav Maga for over a decade, and can show how you can take measures to protect yourself at any age or physical ability.
    • TASK Board to add to questionnaire for feedback
  • Parents have asked about improved Covid mitigation strategies at pickup similar to last year
    • Mrs. Mills is monitoring  but it is a district decision
    • Resources aren’t available to monitor an add’l gate for pick up
  • Is there a need for an additional aid to assist with release? 
    • No interest in postings for noon aid, 3 para
    • Noon aid position could be split between 2 people
    • TASK PTO will post to Facebook to increase visibility
  • Possible PTO sponsored quiet room in library before school overseen by librarian? (suggested by another parent from experience at a previous school)
    • Tabled for now as this would need to be an extra position as the librarian does not have capacity
    • Kid’s Club closed to new registration due to difficulty hiring staff
  • Volunteering on campus: 
    • Running Club
      • Parent allowed on campus in the morning once a week for running club?
      • Campus is closed for August. Mrs. Mills will let PTO know when a decision is made for September. Any volunteer will need to be vaccinated and will need to wear a mask.
    •  Garden 
      • If parent is allowed on campus for gardening, can students garden with parent?
      • We will find out more in September. Tina will garden during after hours. Mrs. Mills will check to see how many additional volunteers she can have.
    • On campus activities during school day aren’t allowed at this point. Enrichment classes are allowed after school hours.
  • Can we auction marquee monthly messages?
    • The marquee on the South side continues to belong to PTO
    • Proposed auctioning pre-approved messages (such as birthdays) on the marquee on the North side. Sharon is trained on the marque but Mrs. Mills would like PTO to put something together she can review before approving the auctioning of the North side marque.
    • TASK Submit plan for North side marque auction to Mrs. Mills prior to next meeting 
  • Vote to accept changes to by-laws purposed last meeting
    • Board passed changes by vote
  • Spacing in classrooms? 
    • Teachers are spacing as much as they can. Mrs. Mills asks that a parent address the teacher first about possible changes in classroom

 

Principal Update

 

  • Parent pickup is getting quicker - normally ends by 3:30pm and we are now done by 3:35pm, so we’re getting quicker
  • Reminder that vehicles should not pull up to South gate, and vehicles should watch their speed
  • Reminder that North gate parents should back up from gate to allow space for children to exit
  • TASK Site council parents needed for K-1, 2-3 and 4-5.  Add post to FB page advising anyone interested to email Sharon or Mrs. Mills  

 
Treasurer

    • Spiritwear Sales Update - sales have exceeded where we were this time last year!
    • Peter Piper Pizza - $310
    • Over $100,000 in bank account!

  

Special Projects

    • North gate shade structure status
      • Manufacturer delay; should be shipped out early November
      • Once received, installation will be scheduled
      • Mrs. Mills ok with installation during school hours as long as it does not affect drop off/ pick up
    • City of Scottsdale sidewalk expansion and shad structure status
      • Pending City of Scottsdale approval
      • 2-4 weeks for drawings once approved
      • 3 months for fabrication/ manufacturing
    • Buddy Bench or sign at lower grade level playground 
      • Need to determine if we need to order a bench and a sign or just a sign
      • Teacher input pending with K-1 teachers
      • TASK Teacher Reps will follow up with K-1 teachers. If approved, need quote for new bench or sign
    • Tree in 5th grade cove
      • There has been some discussion about a replacement
      • Official decision pending
    • Frame for 2nd chalkboard - Brenda’s husband may be able to help
      • Approved vendor would need to install once approved
    • Mural at front of school 
      • TASK Need to find an insured vendor for quote
    • Signs for bus lane/ Kids Club and Parent pickup/drop off
      • School would like PTO to pay as they used some of their discretionary fund for new signage at the end of last year
      • Approved Vendors in place to provide quote: Image 360 and Next Day
      • Suggestion for sign to direct parents/ students to Front Office from North gate
      • TASK confirm text on all proposed signs and set up meeting with vendor

 
Communications

  • Pic and Bio of board members to help school parents know who we are and who to contact - Alicia and Beth will notify Board of specifics
  • Parking and street sign auction is online on Facebook currently - marque discussion noted above

 

Technology

    • Proposal to switch to Google Workspace for email hosting.
      • With no objections, we will look into moving our email to Google and have a concrete proposal at a future meeting
    • MTK now has the capability to host our domain instead of the long MTK domain name. We will try out the feature soon.
    • Request to obtain a list of students with their assigned homeroom teachers from school so spiritwear items can be delivered 
      • TASK Email sent to PTO members with a link to update student teacher information 

  

Events

  • September 17 Back to School Bash
    • Move to October 22 - may need to have a go/ no go date
    • All advertisements should come from PTO so parents know it is not school sponsored
    • Plan is still to hold it outdoors with Covid mitigation strategies in place
  • Golf is interested in moving to November
  • Family Fun Nights 
  • PTO planned events - mitigation strategies / having them outside 
  • Book fair - still unknown whether this will be in person this year

 

Teacher Reps

  • Teacher allocations 
    • Lisa Lee will do reimbursements this year. She will be emailing teachers once she has been added to the bank account
  • Room parents 
  • Water bottle filler in PE room?
    • We will check notes for cost as PTO has paid for these in the past
  • Color cartridge for the printer in workroom?
    • Requested teachers provide a quote 
  • 2 chargers per classroom?
    • Pending quote 
    • Note: Different models require different wattages/power delivery besides the different ports. So we should make sure the chargers are future proof if provided

 

Fundraising/Sponsorship Update

  • 8 sponsors so far
    • Final push this week
    • Planning to order signage for the fence August 30th — likely will redesign to accommodate adding sponsors throughout the year
  • Total sponsorship dollars raised to date: $3800 ($3000 PAID + $800 in verbal commitments)
  • Dine-out for DCES nights: who is doing the scheduling?
    • Lou Malnati’s
    • Thirsty Lion
  • September is Vig Gives month - a portion of proceeds will go to DCES 
    • We will start promoting in September
  • Lou Malnati’s —new silver sponsor!
    • Agreed to donate $500 worth of pizzas to us this year. We can use for whatever events we’d like (TAW, Carnival, Movie Night). Could possibly donate more if needed
    • Donated a gift card that we can use for an auction or prize this year. They are mailing it to me directly.
    • They have an incentive program that we could leverage (think Pizza Hut Book-It)for our students. Maybe Amazing Race prize or some other fun incentive this year.
    • Bottom line — they really want to be involved in the community are open ideas working with us.

 

Hospitality

  • September 10 First Responders Assembly 
    • Students only, separated by grade
    • PTO to provide breakfast and water
    • Breakfast may be moved outdoors - if so, Facilities will put up tent
  • Teacher Treat Wednesdays
    • Sharon will handle set up

 

 

 

Read More

PTO BOARD MEETING MINUTES - July 14, 2021

7/22/2021 11:17 pm

DCES PTO BOARD MEETING  7/14/2021

 

Present:

Kimberly Mills - Principal 

Colleen Costello - Assistant Principal

Laura Weeshoff - Outgoing President

Tara McConnelll - Treasurer

Marissa Anderson - Secretary

Jamie McCrensky - VP of Teacher Representation

Holly Hooley - VP of Teacher Representation

Dave McCuiston - VP of Technology

Melanie Frisone - VP of Hospitality

Alicia Haygood - VP of Communication

Beth Williams - VP of Communication

Dina Engler - VP of Events

  1. Principal Update
    • Sharon Web is our new admin assistant and Leslie Ortiz is our new registrar.
    • Enrollment is up for the fall with 542 students enrolled.
    • Meet the teacher is 8/2, 5:30-6pm.  Parents will be able to log into Parent Vue by the end of next week to identify their child’s teacher.
    • Scottsdale Parent Council - Mrs. Mills to get information to board on how candidates are selected.  
    • PTO board to get PTO dates to Mrs. Mills by next week for the master calendar
  2. Bylaws edit proposal was sent to all board members.  Need to wait 30 days before we can vote on it.  
  3. Budget approved unanimously.
  4. Vote for membership to be free to all DCES families passed unanimously.  Families will still be required to register on the website or app for membership.
  5. Meetings will be held the first Monday of the month at 3:45 at DCES
  6. $250 to the district for the 125 year celebration approved unanimously.
  7. Selling remaining birthday book club items, bags and water bottles approved unanimously.
  8. Need to get quote on friendship benches for pre K and K-2 playgrounds.
  9. Community Engagement Committee
    • Designed to reach new and existing families and help them get involved with the PTO.  
    • Will fall under VPs of Communications.
    • Establishment of the Community Engagement Committee passed  by a unanimous vote.
  10. PTO membership meetings will occur once per quarter at the school, and the time will be determined based on need and community input. 
  11. Back to School Night at Peter Piper scheduled for 8/5 5pm-8pm.  Spirit wear will be sold at event.
  12. Hospitality will provide an early dinner for teachers on meet the teacher night. 
  13. Tentative Carnival Date is 11/5/21
  14. Volunteers needed for spirit wear sales on meet the teacher night.  
    • VP of Outreach and Volunteers to organize sign up genius. 
    • Board members will be present to assist families in signing up for PTO.
  15. Chargers will be passed out on the first day of school.  Will put them with a PTO flyer to get passed out to each student.
  16. Remaining open positions for PTO.  These will be posted through social media and school communications.
    • Incoming President (Board Position)
    • Co VP of Special Projects (Board Position)
    • Community Engagement Committee Coordinator 
    • Back to School Bash
    • Golf Tournament
    • Dinner Auction 
    • Fifth Grade Celebration 
    • Fifth Grade Bricks

 





Read More

PTO Board Meeting Minutes - May 3, 2021, 3:45pm

5/23/2021 6:36 pm

PTO Board Meeting Minutes 

May 3, 2021, 3:45pm

 

2020-2021 Board Attendees:

Co-Presidents: Laura Weeshoff - Kiki Dupey - Teacher Representative: Holly Hooley - Jamie McCrensky- VP Hospitality: Melanie Frisone - Michelle Wilson  - VP Finance: Tara McConnell - VP Fundraising: Maria Aldrich - VP Communications/App: Beth Williams - Alicia Haygood - Mary Olley – Dave McQuiston – VP Spring Events: Krista Kotsovos - VP Fall Events: Marissa Anderson - VP Outreach: Morgan Reader -  SOL Liaison: Laurie Jones - Mandarin Liaison: Kerry Dandan Sullivan

 

Celebrations: 

 

  • TAW is here!
  • Game night!

 

 

Principal Update:

  • Classified staff checking with HR for running club, Morgan Clark, staff for running club
  • Mr Rhodes and stugo raised funds for Foothills Animal Shelter and we will have a presentation, possible news presence

 

 New Business:

  • Spiritwear input - have a boys, girls and mandarin shirt
  • Calendar - February amazing race; Carnival - october
  • Kinder buddy bags ready - email went out today
  • Date of Mandarin name ceremony 
  • Parent present for fifth grade bricks ceremony. Organize with teachers
  • Started moving PTO closet
  • 8 cute little bee bags left, notepads and cell phone credit card stickers
  • Charging banks - give one to every student? 
  • To Do : Paw Partnerships and summer email

 

VP Spring Events : Krista Kotsovos

  • Movie night coming up! Everyone welcome to attend - Friday, May 14th will be on the field at McDowell Mountain Ranch Community Center. Movie starts at 7:45pm and people can arrive at 630/7. - flyer - Text Amanda

 

VP Fall Events: Marissa Anderson/Lindsey Rahaeuser

  • Trivia Night: Waiting on info from Trivia company for final details.  We made about $100 on trivia.  50/50 Raffle brought in $202.50.  We’ll know Papa Johns numbers next week.  
  • Chick Fil A.  We have about $200 from our family fun night.  Owner is looking into our food credit from last year.  
  • Rubios earned $68
  • Panera earned $63
  • Still haven’t gotten an answer from NYPD
  • Papa Johns is reliably successful.  Do we want to schedule our dates for next year?

 

VP Special Projects: Alyson Ashcroft/Kiki, Krista

  • Two quotes coming through for basketball courts, being vetted
  • Mural - ok to use leftover paint from exterior paint. We have to put in $ for gifting for the paint. Let Brenda know. - it needs to go to SUSD Board
  • Shade structures - should be on this board meeting for approval

 

Teacher Representative: Jamie McCrensky and Holly Hooley

  • What is the status of the 4th grade chalkboard - It should work for writing. PTO and teachers can use it. 
  • We have a classified employee who is interested in the running club, Morgan Clark. We are waiting to hear if she’s cleared to lead the group. Please verify with Mrs. Mills.
  • 5th Grade will have Officer Pera teach the Great Program for the 2021-2022 School Year. This is an Anti-Tobacco & Anti-Bullying Program. We are asking PTO if they would reimburse us for the purchase of 80 booklets for $50.00. - Look into site council funding.
  • The owners of Sweetwaters Coffee  & Tea Scottsdale Shops at Raintree/101. The owners are the parents of a current 5th grader. They would like to partner with DCES/DCMS this year or next year. Elliot Greenberg 602-509-7552. - Maria Aldrich
  • Touch up butterfly mural and flowers, bottle caps may need replacing - have STUGO help

 

VP Finance: Tara McConnell

  • Chase account $97,969.31
  • Paypal account $2495.91

 

Budget items that were already approved via email: 

  • 4/26 Movie night budget increased from $1000 to $1800 (updated in budget 5/2)
  • 4/23 Mandarin Special events budget increased from $1000 to $1250 (updated in budget 5/2)
  • 2/17 Pandemic needs budget (for bottled water) increased from $230 to $330 (updated in budget 5/2)
  • 1/14 Amazing race budget (for Membership toolkit software) increased from $3000 to $3750 (updated in budget 5/2)
  • 5/13 5th grade celebration funds approved budget $1514 (Includes increase from $500 to $975 and increased by funds provided by parents $539)

NOTE: Actionable item: we went way over what we thought we were going to make for amazing race and the software ended up costing more (but Krista was amazing in keeping the rest of the costs down) so we only need to increase the budget by $400o cover the membership toolkit software VOTE to increase amazing race budget by $400 APPROVED

 

APPROVED TO increase legacy spending from $40,000 to $50,000

 

What will possibly still be spent from budget:

Birthday book club

$200.00

Hospitality

$1,050.00

Hospitality/Teacher treats

$70.00

Movie night

$600.00

Trivia night

$400.00

School events

$150.00

Campus improvements

$4,300.00

Legacy spending

$40,000.00

Teacher allocation funding

$9,156.00

 

TOTAL:

 

$55,926.00

  • So if we are considering increasing the legacy spending, I would not increase more than $40,000 (to $80,000). The delays caused by waiting for SUSD board meetings and lawyers for the city of Scottsdale may mean that we just include these items in next year’s budget

 

 

 

 

VP Hospitality: Melanie Frisone and Michelle Wilson

  • Teacher Appreciation Week
    • Monday- Lunch for Teachers & Staff Zoes Kitchen
    • Tues- Chick-fil-A Breakfast all Teachers & Staff
    • Wed-Panera Lunch - All Teachers
    • Thurs- Jimmy Johns’ Lunch - All Teachers
    • Friday - Bashas Breakfast Burritos All Teachers & Staff 
  • Decorated North & South Gates
  • DCES Tote Bags for All Teachers & Staff
  • Nurses Day - May 6th - Lunch for the 2 nurses
  • Last week of School - Smoothies for Teachers & Staff
  • Gift for Brenda & Carmen

 

VP App: Dave, Mary

  • Ok to end spiritwear sales



Read More

PTO Board Meeting Minutes - April 5, 2021, 3:45pm

4/23/2021 6:36 pm

PTO Board Meeting Minutes 

April 5, 2021, 3:45pm

 

2020-2021 Board Attendees:

Co-Presidents: Laura Weeshoff - Kiki Dupey - Teacher Representative: Holly Hooley - Jamie McCrensky- VP Hospitality: Melanie Frisone - Michelle Wilson  - VP Finance: Tara McConnell - VP Fundraising: Maria Aldrich - VP Communications/App: Beth Williams - Alicia Haygood - Mary Olley – Dave McQuiston – VP Spring Events: Krista Kotsovos - VP Fall Events: Marissa Anderson - VP Outreach: Morgan Reader  - Mandarin Liaison: Kerry Dandan Sullivan



Principal Update:

  • Enrollment is 518 students for next year 200 of them are Mandarin
  • This week is testing week
  • Teacher appreciation is coming up
  • We are working Dr Menzel’s mask changes into the school at the next staff meeting
  • Movie night at Cherokee: strictly a PTO event off campus so allowed food trucks but probably no school events until next year - can only email through PTO and on PTO Facebook page

 

Old Business:

  • Board positions for next year
  • Co-Presidents - Laura and Marissa
  • Treasurer - Tara
  • The App - Dave, Mary
  • Communications - Beth, Alicia
  • Campus Improvements - Kiki, Krista
  • Hospitality - Melanie and Michelle
  • Fundraising - Maria Aldrich
  • Spring events -  ****
  • Fall events - ****

 

 New Business:

  •  Timing of our big events: 
    • Golf  - winter
    • Auction - spring
    • Amazing Race - early February 
    • Carnival in End of October (check with middle school)
  • Running club - should we have a running club in the morning before school? Or during that before school recess 1x a week? To help students fitness and help kids get their wiggles out and focus. Consult with Mrs Sparks
  • How can we get kids moving during recess on hot days? One idea - shade structures over the basketball courts. Potentially as much as $200,000 or $100,000 to shade half

Shade reduces the temperature outside by 10+ degrees. 

  • For SPC: Picture / slide of DCES highlight this yearl. Meeting/exceeding AR goal

  

VP Spring Events : Krista Kotsovos

  • Drive -in Movie at the end of the year - co-chairs, Amanda and Morgan.

 Location - city fields behind school

  • Game night update

 

VP Fall Events: Marissa Anderson

Family fun nights - *Take out nights at restaurants*

  • Rubio's Saturday 3/20 11am-8pm, 30% donation
  • Papa Johns will be 3/30 and 4/30 with Trivia night.

 

Trivia Night

  • Friday, April 30th
  • 4 rounds of trivia.  Prizes will be blankets and power bar chargers, 50/50
  • Papa Johns to go with it as fund raiser

 

VP Special Projects: Alyson Ashcroft

  • Replace shade cover at first grade cove wash stations - ideally done before March.
  • Shade structure at North Gate where teachers let students out. (Greg Skelton has suggestions for us here as well) and widen the walkway, add benches and shade between the parking lot and North Gate. River rock design and river rocks at tree surrounded by concrete at North Gate
  • Benches and shade structure at cafeteria so at least one class can eat outside
  • Future possibility: shade structure at south gate
  • Future possibility: basketball court 
  • $800 tree In 5th grade cove

 

Teacher Representative: Jamie McCrensky and Holly Hooley

  • teacherreimbursement@dcespto.org should be the email for reimbursements
  • Fifth grade shirts - do teachers want one name on the back of each shirt or the entire class names on the back of each shirt?

 

VP Finance: Tara McConnell

  • Chase account $103,870.25
  • Paypal account $854.27

 

According to bylaws, we need the account to be down to $75,000 by 6/30. We do have some regular expenses that will occur before then. But we should probably move forward with spending our campus improvements budget of $40,000

 

 

 

 

VP Hospitality: Melanie Frisone and Michelle Wilson

  • Para-Professional Day 4/7 - 5 Lunches to be provided
  • Teacher Appreciation Week May 3 - 7
    • Theme- Favorite Things
    • Lunch provided M,W&TH, Smoothies Tues, Breakfast Frid
    • Teacher Tote Bags w/ School Items
    • Letter to Room Parent Coordinator by 4/12
    • Decorate North & South Gate

VP App: Dave, Mary


Mandarin Liaison: Kerry Dandan Sullivan

  • Working on Shirt for spiritwear
  • Annual new year shirt with a different animal








Read More

PTO Board Meeting Minutes - March 1, 2021, 3:45pm

3/23/2021 6:36 pm

PTO Board Meeting Minutes 

March 1, 2021, 3:45pm

 

2020-2021 Board Attendees:

Co-Presidents: Laura Weeshoff - Kiki Dupey - Teacher Representative: Holly Hooley - Jamie McCrensky- VP Hospitality: Melanie Frisone - Michelle Wilson  - VP Finance: Tara McConnell - VP Fundraising: Maria Aldrich - VP Communications/App: Beth Williams - Alicia Haygood - Mary Olley – Dave McQuiston – VP Spring Events: Krista Kotsovos - VP Fall Events: Marissa Anderson - VP Outreach: Morgan Reader -  SOL Liaison: Laurie Jones - Mandarin Liaison: Kerry Dandan Sullivan

 

Celebrations: 

  • We have hit $39,000!!! with the Amazing Race

 

Principal Update:

 

  • SRO opportunity - consider pairing with Copper Ridge and Redfield 
  • Teachers using iready and fastbridge to close the learning gap from covid.
  • Kinder enrollment looking good, last round up is this week. 
  • Revisit cafeteria tables outdoors in teh future
  • Main goals: social emotional and academic achievement

 

Old Business:

  • Sweatshirts delivered
  • Aly has volunteered to do 5th grade bricks - Thank you! 
  • We have ordered stickers for our 400 medium and 200 small power banks from Amanda/Brandables. Thank you to Sarah Crawford for designing a sticker. We will give 60+ to our DCES staff
  • Chinese New Year was a success, thank you Kerry!

 

New Business:

  • Board positions for next year
  • Treasurer - Tara
  • The App - Dave, Mary?
  • Communications - Beth, Alicia
  • Campus Improvements - Kiki, Krista
  • Hospitality - Melanie and Michelle
  • Fundraising - Maria Aldrich
  • Spring events -  
  • Fall events - 
  • Marissa - co pres!!
  •  

VP Spring Events : Krista Kotsovos

  • Amazing race - 40,000!!!!!!! 
  • Drive -in Movie at the end of the year - need co-chairs, Amanda and Morgan? Location - fields ? parking lot? 
  • No fun run this year

 

VP Special Projects: Alyson Ashcroft

  • Replace shade cover at first grade cove wash stations - ideally done before March.
  • Shade structure at North Gate where teachers let students out. (Greg Skelton has suggestions for us here as well) and widen the walkway, add benches and shade between the parking lot and North Gate. River rock design and river rocks at tree surrounded by concrete at North Gate
  • Benches and shade structure at cafeteria so at least one class can eat outside
  • Future possibility: shade structure at south gate
  • Future possibility: basketball court 

 

VP Communications/Marketing: Beth and Alicia

  • Kinder buddy day - we have tattoos, water bottles, paw shaped crayons, yard signs and pencils.  Miss Emma is working on getting kinder books inexpensively; date for drive through kinder buddy day? Is there a tour possibility after spring break? 

 

VP Fall Events: Marissa Anderson

Family fun nights - *Take out nights at restaurants*

  • Rubio's Saturday 3/20 11am-8pm, 30% donation
  • Papa Johns will be 3/30 and 4/30 with Trivia night.

 

Trivia Night

  • Friday, April 30th
  • 4 rounds of trivia.  Prizes will be blankets and power bar chargers, 50/50
  • Papa Johns to go with it as fund raiser

 

Mandarin Liaison: Kerry Dandan Sullivan

  • Working on Shirt for spiritwear
  • Annual new year shirt with a different animal



Teacher Representative: Jamie McCrensky and Holly Hooley

 

VP Finance: Tara McConnell

  • Chase account $103,004.86
  • Paypal account $1,388.48

 

 

 

 

 

VP Hospitality: Melanie Frisone and Michelle Wilson

  • Teacher Appreciation Week May 3 - 7
    • Theme- Favorite Things
    • 5 Days of Giveaways
    • Thursday of conferences, Provide lunch, 18th of March, contact Maria Aldrich for possible donor providing lunch

 

VP App: Dave, Mary

 

VP Sponsorships: Maria Aldrich

  • Golf Tournament - Sienna Art - make sure all golfers, PTO members that want to get to have their photo done.

 

VP Outreach: Morgan Reader

 

Read More

PTO Board Meeting Minutes - February 8, 2021, 3:45pm

3/23/2021 6:33 pm

PTO Board Meeting Minutes 

February 8, 2021, 3:45pm

 

2020-2021 Board Attendees:

Co-Presidents: Laura Weeshoff - Kiki Dupey - Teacher Representative: Holly Hooley - Jamie McCrensky- VP Hospitality: Melanie Frisone - Michelle Wilson  - VP Finance: Tara McConnell - VP Fundraising: Maria Aldrich - VP Communications/App: Beth Williams - Alicia Haygood - Mary Olley – Dave McQuiston – VP Spring Events: Krista Kotsovos - VP Fall Events: Marissa Anderson - VP Outreach: Morgan Reader -  SOL Liaison: Laurie Jones - Mandarin Liaison: Kerry Dandan Sullivan

 

Celebrations: 

  • DCES Marquis looks fabulous!
  • We have hit $20,000 with the Amazing Race
  • We have a student from DCES, Sama Kafa, 4th grade, that finished 5th in the district spelling bee and will be moving on to regionals! She is new to our school. Riley is our runner up. 

 

Principal Update:

  • Fast Bridge - language arts screener; k-3 is given reading assessment and iReady 
  • Mrs. Karr is teacher of the year for SUSD
  • Do we have a teacher interested in leading garden club this year? Miss Rita can take kids out during after care
  • Can we have the Lego Bricks and other after school activities restart - Navajo has their bricks program going. Could we open these just to potentially after care kids? Or to the entire campus?
  • Kids club summer care - on our campus. Here and off campus at another site. City of Scottsdale won’t be on our campus. 
  • Will classrooms be using our STEAM carts that PTO purchased? Do we need to train teachers on these
  • Use results based funding for charging stations/carts

 

Old Business:

  • Mid Year Flyer went out
  • Long sleeved spiritwear delivered! Still waiting on tie dye backorder which should be done soon
  • 5th grade brick parent - do we have one?
  • PTO paid for fifth grade cove water filling maintenance and picture frames

 

New Business:

  • 400 medium and 200 small power banks were donated to the school from Amanda; we will ask Sarah Crawford to design a sticker; along with a new logo; first they will go to all staff; then we will give them out at various PTO functions/events/raffles

 

VP Spring Events : Krista Kotsovos

  • Amazing race - over $20,000!!!
    • Mad scientist challenge - have all board members do a fun picture to kick it off
    •  Krista to meet with Mrs. Mills to help with planning. 
  • Drive in Movie? - need co chairs
  • Considering fun run for April

 

VP Special Projects: Alyson Ashcroft

  • Replace shade cover at first grade cove wash stations - ideally done before March.
  • Shade structure at North Gate where teachers let students out. (Greg Skelton has suggestions for us here as well) and widen the walkway, add benches and shade between the parking lot and North Gate.
  • Benches and shade structure at cafeteria so at least one class can eat outside
  • Future possibility: shade structure at south gate 

 

VP Communications/Marketing: Beth and Alicia

  • Marketing: Ask our new front desk person (Christina?) to be one of our DCES Facebook post reps for our official DCES SUSD page?  Does she have a school email account?
    • Create list of parents that opted out of marketing (Ideally done at beginning of the year)
    • Link DCES Instagram families page to our DCES SUSD page and remove “families”

So that posts will easily flow through; can we have our new front desk person do

 this? And add Mrs. Mills, Colleen and Brenda if they are on instagram

  • Highlight each teacher with their favorite quote from a student/family and the teacher’s picture. 
  • Kinder buddy day - we have tattoos, water bottles, paw shaped crayons and yard signs, order pencils. Drive through pick up? Ask them if they’ll give us our address?
  • Highlight/show board members
    • Selfie video with each board member - highlight one a week
      WE NEED MORE! We have Pres. Finance and Comm Team. The rest??

 

VP Fall Events: Marissa Anderson

Family fun nights - *Take out nights at restaurants*

  • Chick fil A - Total? 
  • NYPD Total?
  • Panera tonight!!!
  • Papa Johns will be on the following Mondays: 1/25, 2/22, 3/22, and 4/19.  WIll do one with our game night.

Trivia Night

  • Need budget vote for funds.  $2500 will cover 125 participants. Each family would be a participant; Voted on and approved
  • What date? - email Mrs. Mills
  • 3 or four rounds of trivia.  Do we have prizes we can award for each round and best overall?  Blankets in PTO closet, power bar chargers, 50/50
  • Will schedule pizza night with it as fundraiser.

 

Mandarin Liaison: Kerry Dandan Sullivan

  • Chinese New year celebrations Feb 12th!! 
  • Favors, crafts, Teacher meal, Tattoos
  • Working on Shirt for spiritwear

 

Teacher Representative: Jamie McCrensky and Holly Hooley

  • teacherreimbursement@dcespto.org should be the email for reimbursements
    • Ok to buy child size masks with funds. - use pandemic funds; fifth grade will need larger masks. 

 

VP Finance: Tara McConnell

  • Chase account $86,832.45
  • Paypal account $1,101.25
  • *Actionable Items* 
    • Spiritwear has already beat it’s goal of raising $10,000 by $3000, but we need to raise the budget of $6500 to $8000 ($1500 increase) to cover our winter spiritwear purchase; Vote approved +$1500
    • We need to approve a budget for Trivia Night. Marissa thinks the cost will be up to $2500 depending on participation APPROVED AT $2500
    • Amazing Race is doing so well that we may need to raise the budget for Paypal fees. The current budget is $2000 and we’ve spent about $1700 of it. I’d like to raise it to $2500 ($500 increase) to prevent any overages from Amazing race or end of year (like yearbook) online purchases +$500 approved
    • Budget for legacy spending so we can get started. Currently we have about $87,000. We could have up to $41,000 left to spend this year including teacher reimbursements, a couple more events, some hospitality funds, a few more school events, yearbook has to be paid for and administrative fees which gives us over 40K to currently work with. Whatever we decide on can be changed based on Amazing Race funds; approved 40k

 

 

 

 

VP Hospitality: Melanie Frisone and Michelle Wilson

  • Valentine’s Day Giveaway - 10 - $10 Gift Card Baskets 
  • Early Release Lunches for Professional Development Days?

 

VP App: Dave, Mary

  • Tour video?
  • Reminder: 
  • Possible music video later in the year

 

VP Sponsorships: Maria Aldrich

 

VP Outreach: Morgan Reader

 

Read More