DCES PTO BOARD MEETING MINUTES 11/14/2022
1/17/2023 1:31 pm
DCES PTO BOARD MEETING MINUTES NOV 14th, 2022
Katie Makelele, Co President
Tara McConnell, Co President
Kelley Karvandi, Secretary
Lisa Lee, Treasurer
Alicia Haygood, VP of Fundraising
Mary Olley, VP of Technology
Beth Beyer Williams, VP Communications
Ellen Snyder, VP Communications
Nicky Doss, VP of Special Projects and Campus Improvements
Paige Miller-Blum, VP Special Projects/ Campus Improvements
Alexis Wolf, VP of Events
Maria Bispen, VP of Events
Emily Chin, VP of Events
Melanie Frisone, VP of Hospitality
Casey Magargle, VP of Hospitality
Alice Hsieh, Mandarin Rep
Kimberly Mills, Principal
Colleen Love, Vice Principal
Mrs. Deacon, Teacher Representatives
Mrs. Caramucci, Teacher Representatives
Mrs. Mills & Mrs. Love
- Shout out to Mrs. Suderman, Mrs. Honeycutt, Julie Sparks, DCES Teachers/Students, Pedro/Charles and PTO Hospitality for Veterans Day Celebration THIS WENT GREAT. EVERYONE LOVED THE PERFORMANCE.
- DCES A label, Top 3 SUSD Elementary schools, US News Ranking. A LOT OF SCHOOLS FELL BACK IN THEIR RANKING, WE WERE ONE OF THE FEW TO RAISE OUR RATING.
- Benches update-Greg Skelton will give us a timeline soon. THE BENCHES WERE SHIPPED BUT COULDN’T BE INSTALLED BECAUSE OF THE LEGS. NEW ONES WERE SENT AND DIDN’T HAVE THE DCES LOGO. WE WILL INSTALL THE BENCHES AND ADD THE LOGO AFTER.
- 5th Grade Mastic tree Dec. 2nd scheduled for install
- TBD Ball Court Project Meeting week of November 28th PTO availability ? GREG IS LOOKING AT PTO AVAILABILITY TO DISCUSS TIMELINE AND DETAILS.
Golf tournament chair update - replacement found (EMILY)
Request from Mrs Chen for sashes for CNY event instead of dragon costume. MRS. LOVE TALKED TO MRS. CHEN TO DETERMINE THAT THE PRIORITY IS RED ENVELOPES, CHOCOLATE COINS, ORANGES. THEY ARE WORKING ON FINDING A LION HEAD, THE NEXT PRIORITY IS THE SASHES. WE NEED TO KNOW HOW MUCH THE SASHES COST AND HOW MANY ARE NEEDED. WE LIKE THE IDEA OF THE KIDS MAKING THEIR OWN LION MASKS AND WEARING THAT WITH A SASH. WOULD IT BE ALL 5TH GRADERS OR JUST MANDARIN 5TH GRADERS?
Bookfair raised $7345 in scholastic dollars! VERY SUCCESSFUL
Need updates on the following TARA AND KATIE WILL DISCUSS WITH THE PRINCIPALS ON MONDAY.
- Flexible seating
- Teacher requests for volunteers on campus
- Cubbies that Care - how do we turn this into a school club?
- Book vending machine - has this gone to Site Council yet?
- Ice machine measurements/ hook ups WORK ORDER HAS BEEN PUT IN WITH MAINTENANCE.
Recess equipment PARENTS SAID NOT ENOUGH BALL AND BALLS ARE FLAT AT RECESS. KATIE REACHED OUT TO COACH R ABOUT IDENTIFYING ROAR BEHAVIOR FOR STUDENTS TO HELP TAKE CARE OF EQUIPMENT. MRS. LOVE IS HANDLING WITH COACH R - BALLS WILL BE LEFT OUTSIDE COACH R’S ROOM, SHE WILL INFLATE AND RETURN THE BALLS OR HAVE A STUDENT RETURN THE BALLS.
WE ARE GOING TO DO THE AMAZING RACE IN THE SPRING & READATHON IN THE FALL. THE LIBRARIAN SAID SHE WILL PLAN AND HELP WITH EVERYTHING. MAYBE USE THE READATHON MONEY TO IMPROVE OUR LIBRARY.
IDEA: TAKE DOWN CEILING PANELS & FUNDRAISE TO HAVE KIDS DECORATE AND THEN PUT THEM BACK UP.
WE WANT INPUT FROM CHEROKEE ON THEIR READATHON BUT HAVING A HARD TIME GETTING IN CONTACT WITH THEIR PTO. WOULD MAYBE HAVE BETTER LUCK HAVING A PRINICPAL CONTACT THE CHEROKEE PRINCIPAL.
- Paypal Balance: $3771.00
- Chase Balance: $103,771.49
- Scholastic Book Fair brought in $13,052.67 in sales IN ONE WEEK! Thank you to Emily Niesz
- Our taxes are done and submitted to IRS CPA WANTS US TO DOCUMENT RECEIPTS FOR DONATIONS. MARY CAN HAVE IT GENERATED WHEN THEY PAY ONLINE AND HAVE A COPY OF THE RECEIPT SENT TO LISA. CPA WANTS TO SEE THE DOLLAR AMOUNT. LISA WILL ASK ABOUT ITEMS WE ARE NOT ACCEPTING CASH FOR. FOR EXAMPLE, DOES EACH BASKET ITEM NEEDS TO BE ITEMIZED?
- Vote needed: Increase $1500 spirit wear budget to cover winter spirit wear costs.
- We are currently in the green of $2400 income for spirit wear with still inventory to sell.
- Julie Sparks art reimbursement TAKEN CARE OF
- Flexible seating teacher requests MRS. DEACON WILL SEND SPREADSHEET TO KATIE/TARA. WOULD PROBABLY GO UNDER CAMPUS IMPROVEMENTS.
- Parent pick up signs TEACHERS ARE HAVING A HARD TIME WALKING UP TO THE CAR, GETTING STUDENTS NAME, FINDING STUDENT, ETC. PTO TO HAND OUT CARD STOCK TO PARENTS IN THE PICKUP LINE TO FILL OUT AND PUT IN THE DASH. PTO/PARENT VOLUNTEERS TO HAND OUT CARD STOCK WITH PENS OR USE CARVISORSIGNS.COM
- Food options for teachers with allergies USUALLY THEY DO VEGETARIAN. GLUTEN FREE & VEGAN ARE BEING REQUESTED. IT DEPENDS ON THE RESTAURANT. MRS. DEACON WILL PUT OUT A SURVEY TO TEACHERS FOR NEED.
- Air purifier - received 3 teacher requests TARA WILL LET PARENT KNOW WHO REACHED OUT SO THEY CAN GET INVOLVED.
- Organized sports at recess THE WAY THE GARDEN IS RUN IS GREAT. THE PRINCIPALS ARE OPEN TO HAVING 1 CONTACT PERSON/PARENT TO ORGANIZE 1 DAY/WEEK ACTIVITY LIKE A RUN OR ORGANIZED SPORT. THAT PARENT WILL NEED TO MAKE A PLAN. ALICIA CAN PUT MRS. LOVE IN CONTACT W/ SCOTTSDALE POLICE AND BOYS & GIRLS CLUB FOR THEIR VOLUNTEER HELP.
- Copy cat volunteers - utilizing aides TEACHERS CAN SEND OUT A REQUEST TO PARENTS FOR WHAT THEY WANT HELP WITH IN THE CLASSROOM.
VOTE 11/14/22 FOR PTO TO FUND $5.500 FOR FLEXIBLE SEATING OUT OF CAMPUS IMPROVEMENTS. YES.
VOTE 11/14/22 Vote needed: Increase $1500 spirit wear budget to cover winter spirit wear costs. YES
VP of Events
Alexis Wolf, Maria Bispen, Emily Chin
VP of Special Projects/ Campus Improvements
Nicole Doss & Paige Miller-Blum
VOTE 1 Approved 11/1/22: Do you approve spending $275 for the supplies Mrs. Sparks will need for the rock garden/wooden crates in the coves. Has Mrs. Sparks been notified? YES
VOTE 2 Approved 11/1/22: Do you approve spending $240 for a Life Vac anti-choking device to be kept on campus. Has this been ordered? TARA WILL ORDER AND GIVE TO THE SCHOOL NURSE.
Site Council Update
VP of Hospitality
Melanie Frisone & Casey Magargle
Thanksgiving Pies for Teachers & Staff -Nov 22nd
Holiday Basket Raffle for Teachers & Staff - Due by Dec 7th
VP of Communications
Beth Beyer Williams & Ellen Snyder
WE NEED TO OVER COMMUNICATE WITH EMAILS FOR FUNDRAISING.
SEND AN EMAIL SAYING TO BRING BASKETS THE WEEK OF DEC 5TH.
HOLIDAY GIFT SHOP - SEND AN EMAIL FOR PARENTS TO LOOK FOR THE ENVELOPES COMING HOME.
VP of Fundraising
Golf Tourney Sponsor updates
VP of Technology
Sponsors updated on pto website. Still need Logo for: McDowell Mountain Music Lessons, Happy Time Gifters on Esty, North Scottsdale FitBody Boot Camp, and Weeshoff Wellness Center
NONE OF THESE COMPANIES ARE SPONSORS ANYMORE, ALICIA IS SHARING UPDATED FOLDER WITH MARY.
WE WILL ADVERTISE FOR MORE TECHNOLOGY HELPERS THAT COULD START AT BEGINNING OF NEXT YEAR.