DCES PTO BOARD MEETING MINUTES FEB 13th, 2023
2/13/2023 5:13 pm
Katie Makelele, Co President
Tara McConnell, Co President
Kelley Karvandi, Secretary
Lisa Lee, Treasurer
Alicia Haygood, VP of Fundraising
Ellen Snyder, VP Communications
Paige Miller-Blum, VP Special Projects/ Campus Improvements
Casey Magargle, VP of Hospitality
Kimberly Mills, Principal
Mary Olley, VP of Technology
Nicky Doss, VP of Special Projects and Campus ImproDCES PTO BOARD MEETING MINUTES FEB 13th, 2023
Alexis Wolf, VP of Events
Mrs. Deacon, Teacher Representatives
Mrs. Mills & Mrs. Love
MEGAN CHEN WAS NOMINATED FOR CHARROS TEACHER OF THE YEAR. WILL PUT ON FACEBOOK AND ANNOUNCE TO SCHOOL AT PBIS ASSEMBLY.
MRS. WEBB IS LEAVING AND TAKING A NEW POSITION CLOSER TO HER HOME. SHELLEY WILL TAKE SHARON’S POSITION & HIRING FOR NEW POSITION AT ELEMENTARY/MIDDLE.
KINDER ROUND UP. WE HAVE HAD A LOT OF TOURS & OPEN ENROLLMENTS. WILL HAVE UPDATED NUMBERS WHEN SHARON FINISHES ENROLLMENTS. CURRENTLY AT 526- HIGHEST EVER.
MESSAGE WILL BE GOING OUT TODAY STATING THAT THEY WILL BE CITING FAMILIES THAT ARE DROPPING OFF AT NORTH GATE.
KINDER BUDDY DAY IS FRIDAY THE 5TH. THE PTO WILL SPEAK TO PARENTS & ASK FOR VOLUNTEER SIGN UPS.
BOOK VENDING MACHINE WILL HAVE A SPOT IN THE LIBRARY.
ATHLETES IN TRAINING IS BEING PAID THROUGH TEACHER BUDGET & NOT PTO BUDGET BECAUSE WE DIDN’T HAVE ENOUGH TIME FOR THE GIFTING PROCESS. WE NEED TO EVALUATE IF WE ARE GOING TO VOTE ON IT FOR NEXT YEAR.
Setting up nominations and voting for the 23-24 DCES PTO Board
MRS. MILLS WILL SEND OUT A BLURB ABOUT POSITIONS IN THE NEXT PRINCIPAL LETTER.
Scottsdale Parent Council (SPC) would like to reach out to all PTO board members and encourage them to come to their monthly meetings where they usually have an informational speaker from the district
VOTE 1/12/23 Pre K and 3’s teachers are getting $200 from PTO for their classroom. In the past district has given them funds to use but it has stopped. Classroom teachers are all getting $400. We are voting to increase their funds from PTO from $200 to $400 for each teacher (Goetz and Chapman)? VOTED YES
VOTE 2/6/2023: Increase spirit wear budget by $150, to bring it to a total of $11,650. There were some changes so we did not have enough to cover them. VOTED YES
VOTE NEEDED: Mandarin events budget needs to be increased to cover the expenses for the CNY event. Our current budget is $1,507.18. We are voting to increase it by $92.82 to cover the remaining expenses from the CNY event. That will bring our total budget to $1,600.00. VOTED YES
Chase balance: $92,895.29
Paypal balance: no longer using
Lumapay: Automatically transfer to Chase checking account daily
LUMAPAY IS GOOD EXCEPT FOR WHEN NEEDING TO DO REFUNDS.
- Amazing Race Rewards:
- Classroom goal of $2,000: possible options - silly string (survey showed some teachers are in favor while some are not), popsicle reward, pizza/movie/popcorn/ice cream party, extra recess
MRS. DEACON TO CONNECT WITH EMILY ABOUT BUDGET. LEANING TOWARDS POPCORN AND AN EXTRA RECESS.
- School-wide goal of $40,000 - Students will be served lunch in the cafeterias from Mrs. Mills and Mrs. Love in fun costumes!
- Amazing Race Funds
- Bring in a renowned author for a school wide presentation (Sarah Weeks, Candace Fleming, etc.), reading benches/more seating in each cove and/or around playground, classroom blinds, DCES mural outside the office (maybe not painted, something unique made out of tiles or something else that would hold up in the heat), revamped wall hanging tools or wall display cases like the one by the office door by the amphitheater to display student work for all to see, library/computer lab updates (especially for rainy/high heat days), large ROAR signs for parent drop off/gates & playgrounds (one expectation per sign), paint touched up around the campus - planter boxes, pillars in coves, and the fencing, online curriculum programs (Schoolwide IXL licenses).
WILL FOCUS ON SPENDING FUNDS FOR AMAZING RACE ON MURAL AND AN AREA FOR HIGH HEAT/RAINY DAYS. WILL ALSO UPDATE ROAR SIGNS AND LIBRARY UPDATES. IF WE DO READATHON, THOSE FUNDS COULD PICK UP EXTRA FUNDS FOR LIBRARY.
ALSO CONSIDER BEE KIND AND ATHLETES IN TRAINING. DO TEACHERS SEE A VALUE IN THESE PROGRAMS?
PRINCIPAL/SCHOOL BUDGET PAYS FOR STAFFING. PTO PAYS FOR PROGRAMS LIKE BEE KIND.
GET COACH R INVOLVED IN LIBRARY SPACES TO SEE IF THERE’S ANYTHING WE CAN DO FOR RAINY/HOT DAYS
- The Sunshine committee is looking to see if PTO is considering providing snacks for Teachers during testing week other than Wednesday. Asking because in the past it’s been done
- Be Kind assembly March 3rd - invite will be open to about 50 parents. Then afterward, we could hold a small Q&A session between Be Kind and parents. Is PTO interested? Does PTO want to hold a general meeting afterward?
PRINCIPALS WILL SEND OUT A SIGN UP.
- Thank you for all the supplies for the playground. Received - sidewalk chalk, 3 bulldozers, 6 hula hoops, 1 dump truck, 12 shovels, sifters, and buckets.
- How many trucks were ordered?
- We want to purchase a container with a locking lid. Mrs. C is looking into exact ones and will let PTO know in the next couple weeks. CAN COME OUT OF RECESS BUDGET.
KATIE WILL ORDER MORE BULLDOZERS AND 3 DUMP TRUCKS. HULA HOOPS ARE OUT OF STOCK. WILL ORDER MORE THAN THE 6 WE HAVE. ALL BALLS PREVIOUSLY ORDERED ARE GOOD THROUGH THE REST OF THE YEAR.
STILL HAVING A HARD TIME FINDING ROCKER CHAIRS AS REQUESTED FOR TEACHER BUDGET.
VP of Events
Alexis Wolf, Maria Bispen, Emily Chin
Amazing Race days next week
$16,455 raised as of today
SPRING CARNIVAL IS GOING GOOD. FOUND A PIZZA TRUCK, IF $1,000 IN SALES GET 10% BACK. 6 SPONSORS COMING OUT TO DO TABLES.
VP of Special Projects/ Campus Improvements
Nicole Doss & Paige Miller-Blum
Site Council Update
VP of Hospitality
Melanie Frisone & Casey Magargle
VP of Communications
Beth Beyer Williams & Ellen Snyder
VP of Fundraising
Golf Tourney: Need to get everything set up online so people can register again.
Carnival Sponsor Tables
ALICIA NEEDS HELP BECAUSE EVERYONE WHO WAS HELPING HAS DROPPED OFF
THURSDAY MAY 11TH A SHOTGUN START AT 1PM AT GAINEY RANCH GOLF CLUB
WILL NEED TO FIGURE OUT REIMBURSEMENTS FROM PREVIOUS EVENT. THEY PAID $200, COSTS US $110
SPONSORSHIPS AT $200/HOLE
$600 FOR A 4 SOME IF THEY WANT TO SIGN UP AS A TEAM
VP of Technology
MARY WILL CREATE A LAUNCH PAGE FOR GOLF TOURNAMENT. SHOULD GET IT OUT NOW. WE HAVE A CHOIR CONCERT THE SAME NIGHT.