PTO Board Meeting Minutes - January 11, 2021, 3:45pm

3/23/2021 6:30 pm

PTO Board Meeting Minutes 

January 11, 2021, 3:45pm


2020-2021 Board Attendees:

Co-Presidents: Laura Weeshoff - Kiki Dupey - Teacher Representative: Holly Hooley - Jamie McCrensky- VP Hospitality: Melanie Frisone - Michelle Wilson  - VP Finance: Tara McConnell - VP Fundraising: Maria Aldrich - VP Communications/App: Beth Williams - Alicia Haygood - Mary Olley – Dave McQuiston – VP Spring Events: Krista Kotsovos - VP Fall Events: Marissa Anderson - VP Outreach: Morgan Reader -  SOL Liaison: Laurie Jones - Mandarin Liaison: Kerry Dandan Sullivan



  • Holiday basket raffle a success; one more basket to raffle!
  • Teachers given $100 each in Scholastic dollars, the rest to the library. Orders going out this week

Principal Update:

  •  Rosetta Stone - can we get a discount for Mandarin? Or Duolingo May help for students quarantining; Yes Chinese is hard to navigate 
  • Shifting to work towards A + and integrating it in the classroom. No steam night this year.
  • New Year’s One word challenge - 60 - 4x6 black frames - vote on this: 
    • Budget $90-110; Passed
  • Coffee Bean for Kids, by John Gordon - one book for each class to purchase for next year - vote on this:
    • Budget 
  • Fifth Grade cove needs water filler maintenance or replacement - Michelle Fortino thinks Dennis installed them, can district maintain them? If we order through company that district has an agreement with. 


Old Business:

  • New DCES Marquee - were trees trimmed? 
  • Front office complete - Will open when Middle school is in person; front office position interviewing for this week; can we make video tour? 
  • Chalk Board - if Pre school / Pre k is gardening there, maybe one of them can decorate the chalk board? (ask at pick up)


New Business:

  • Need 5th grade brick parent / 5th grade celebration - or drive through (Through 5th grade room parents) 
  • Do we want to create a new PTO logo? - ask Sarah Crawford for help
  • Long sleeve shirts are being ordered, sweatshirts are backordered 1 month - we need to let these families know, consider offering them size change, or if you need a refund. -Tara will email
  • Chinese New Year Celebration - consider online? Dragon in person?; Email with Mrs. Chen; has a budget; $800 for the 3 events for the year; Kiki to email
    • February 12th
  • Parking lot after school - kids running around in the desert, reminder to be safe

Teacher Representative: Jamie McCrensky and Holly Hooley

  • should be the email for reimbursements
    • Amy Jo Smith - re teacher reimbursement, certified; she’s allotted $250; - Please have her email
    • Ok to buy child size masks with funds. - use pandemic funds; fifth grade will need larger masks. 
  • 5th grade cove - tree/cactus update 
  • Legacy spending - on campus schoolwide needs - can we get teacher ideas on this?
  • Remind parents about social distancing after school; and not having indoor playdates / remembering to be safe to keep schools open


VP Finance: Tara McConnell

  • Chase account $62,547.63
  • Paypal account $3798.21
  •  Our school psychologist would like to purchase a $60 curriculum which led us to realize there were several new staff members that we should consider adding to teacher reimbursements
    • School psychologist $200. YES
    • Michele Gioffre - Reading intervention - $200 YES
    • Amy Schaeffer - English Language Development - $200  (She’s at Cheyenne and another school) - hold on this
  •  Vote for Total $400 to add to teacher Reimbursement YES





VP Sponsorships: Maria Aldrich

  • Siena Art Portrait Studio gave $600 in credit towards a portrait to each player of the golf tournament; Try to give one to teachers.  They may also help with the auction


VP App: Dave, Mary

  • PTO Email forwarding to large groups isn’t working (
  • Reminder: 
  • Possible music video later in the year


VP Fall Events: Marissa Anderson

Family fun nights - *Take out nights at restaurants*

  • Chick fil A - Total? 
  • NYPD Total?
  • Panera probably will be on 2/8, waiting on confirmation.
  • Papa Johns - Scheduling monthly because successful.  Will be on the following Mondays: 1/25, 2/22, 3/22, and 4/19. -- let’s coincide one with a game night?


VP Communications/Marketing: Beth and Alicia

  • Mid Year Update Flyer 
  • Highlight/show board members
    • Selfie video with each board member - highlight one a week
      WE NEED MORE! We have Pres. Finance and Comm Team. 
  • Email for any posting on facebook, insta, email; also forward emails to Laurie Jones;


VP Hospitality: Melanie Frisone and Michelle Wilson

  • Holiday Basket Raffle - success
  • Early Release Lunches for Professional Development Days


VP Special Projects: Alyson Ashcroft

  • Shovels for pre-k and 3rs, contact preschool teachers to see if there’s anything e lse they need to get started. 
  • Replace shade cover at first grade cove wash stations - ideally done before March. Any other shade structures?  Shade sail at first grade cove - permission from it to go from awning to fence (will need to bring out Greg Skelton)
  • Shade structure at North Gate where teachers let people out. (Greg Skelton has suggestions for us here as well)
  • Look at buying 5th grade cove tree (on hold)


SOL Liaison: Laurie Jones; 

  • Email Laurie to forward DCES emails to SOL


Mandarin Liaison: Kerry Dandan Sullivan


VP Spring Events : Krista Kotsovos

  • Amazing race - Tentative Date: First week in March, need approval for volunteers on campus; Krista to meet with Mrs. Mills to help with planning. 
  • Online Game night- Late Jan/early Feb? - Co- chairs?, with pizza delivery - Need to advertise co-chair positions!!
  • Drive in Movie? - need co chairs
  • Considering fun run for April


VP Outreach: Morgan Reader